The Spotswood High School community will provide a safe, orderly environment and diverse learning experiences for students to acquire the knowledge, skills, and character needed for academic success and responsible, productive citizenship in the 21st century.
Spotswood High School had its formal beginning in 1973 when the County School Board authorized an Eastern Rockingham building study and requested a report on a proposed new high school for eastern Rockingham County.
A committee, composed of community persons from the Elkton and Montevideo attendance areas, as well as Central Office staff members, three Principals and several teachers from both Montevideo and Elkton High Schools, was organized to develop the education specifications for the proposed new plant. Although the proposal to build the new school was not implemented at this time, the work of the educational specifications committee served as a foundation for the planning of the present school.
During the summer of 1976 the School Board voted to build a senior high school, grades 10-12, to house Montevideo and Elkton High School students. A committee of twenty-one people was appointed to draft a set of educational specifications for the proposed new facility. The committee completed its report during the 1976-1977 school year, and later revised it when a specific starting date for construction was established.
Specific plans for names, nicknames, and colors were developed by a committee of nine persons that made final reports to the School Board in December 1978. The School Board reviewed the report and voted to name to the school the Spotswood Senior High School, in memory of Alexander Spotswood. The Board decided to leave the decision for the school’s nickname and colors to the administration and students.
In the fall of 1984 Spotswood became a 9-12 high school and the name was changed to Spotswood High School.
By the fall of 1995, Spotswood’s enrollment had increased to 1,100 students. The school’s grounds were dotted by 10 modular classrooms. The rapid growth of Rockingham County coupled with an increased number of programs resulted in a decision by the Rockingham County Board of Supervisors and the Rockingham County School Board to allocate approximately $4.5 million for significant renovations and expansion. The plan called for the addition of 28 classrooms, a new gymnasium and a variety of facility improvements to be completed in the fall 1997. We have nationally recognized academic team members, state champions in sports, and enjoy full accreditation from the DOE for SOL success. The school grew to as many as 1500+ students in the late 2000s.
In 2010 Spotswood High School is now 30-years old. This year marks the opening of East Rockingham High School located in Elkton, Virginia. With the new school, Spotswood enrollment dropped to around 850 students putting in the bottom 5 “smaller” AA schools in Virginia.
Spotswood High School’s faculty and staff have demonstrated excellence under the leadership of the following principals: Dr. James E. Upperman 1980 – 1984, Dr. Edward L. Smith 1984 – 1992, Mr. Brownie Cummins 1992 – 1994, Dr. Robert P Grimesey 1994 – 1998, Mr. James Slye 1998 – 2002, Mr. Adam Burket 2002-2006, Tim Woodward 2006-2009, Dr. Seth Muraskin 2009-2012, Dr. Stephen Leaman 2012 - 2015, Rad Dansey 2015 - Present.
What is the significance being called “Spotswood High School”?
Because of Elkton’s location on the Shenandoah River, which runs between the Blue Ridge and Massanutten Mountains, it was a prime location for the first permanent settlement in the central Shenandoah Valley. In 1716, Governor Alexandria Spotswood crossed the Blue Ridge Mountains by way of Swift Run Gap. From this vantage point, he looked down upon the Shenandoah Valley and what is now the site of Elkton. He was a leader that helped hasten the settlement of the area.
Spotswood, Alexander/Alexandria This mural(Bob Marshman) depicts Governor Spotswood’s first view of the valley. It spans the Gym wall at SHS. 1676-1740, colonial governor of Virginia, b. Tangier, Morocco. Appointed in 1710, he was officially lieutenant governor under the nominal governorship of George Hamilton, 1st earl of Orkney. One of the ablest of the royal governors, Spotswood encouraged settlement of the frontier by exempting the settlers from taxes and quitrents. His measures requiring the inspection of all tobacco intended for export or for use as legal tender (1713) and regulating trade with the Native Americans (1714) were unpopular, and upon petition by the assembly, the crown repealed them (1717). He also encountered difficulties in maintaining his right to appoint Anglican clergymen in the colony. In 1716, Spotswood led an expedition into the Shenandoah valley to hasten its settlement, and he negotiated a treaty (1722) with the Iroquois, by which they agreed to remain beyond the Potomac River and the Blue Ridge. At the end (1722) of his governorship, Spotswood remained in Virginia, having acquired a vast amount of land in Spotsylvania co., where he also had extensive iron interests. In 1730 he was made deputy postmaster general of the American colonies.
For more information on Alexander Spotswood use the following link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Spotswood